Pumping Iron with Poetry: Working Our Core
You will find poetry appearing in both your English and reading class this year. Why?
- The simple one? It's short! We can cover a poem in one class period!
- Almost everything we need in Language Arts can be found in a poem. (Make that life, too - but Mrs. K and I hope you discover that one for yourselves!)
2. figurative language (makes the writing more interesting and allows your reader to think)
3. theme/ so what/ main idea (also know as the focus)
4. manageable to write and revise
5. strengthens your writing!
As we begin the year with narrative writing we also start with poetry. It will weave itself through every unit we study, so prepare and get ready to pump some poetry!
Our first narrative pieces will be memoirs. In memoirs we will focus on story arc, specifically critical moments. Think about those two things as you read your independent reading.
All your lessons from poetry can also be applied here.