What is the sound of love? Of respect? What is the sound of honesty?
Our principal has asked us to think about the Core Ethical Values this week; I want you to take it a step further.
What do those values sound like?
You can form this one as a list, but make it a specific list. Challenge yourself to use phrases and not single words. Don’t stop until you have at least ten. Then, review your list and see what you’ve got! Circle the ones you want to go back to. You may get ideas for a poem or a short scene that you can use for later entries.
Here is my sample:
Courage is the sound of….
- The flag snapping in the wind
- Honorary rifle volleys at a funeral
- The silence when the folded flag is handed to the family
- The applause at a graduation
- A kindergartner’s first steps on the school bus
- One person standing up for what is right
- The click of the voting machine
- A shaky breath before you step forward
- The silence before someone speaks – the moment when others are really listening
- Voices singing “We Shall Overcome”
- The sound of “No,” and sometimes “I will.”
Here are the five values. You may use something different if you wish, but keep the focus on the sound.